These programs can help you pay your utility bills and lower your energy costs in Alabama.


If you live in Alabama and are low-income, 60 years of age or older, and / or disabled, there are programs available to help pay for utilities and improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Utility assistance

Stephanie Keith is the Executive Director of the Talladega, Clay, Randolph, Calhoun and Cleburne County Community Action Agency (TCRCC). His agency is one of nearly two dozen across Alabama that help economically struggling Alabamians with their utility bills.

“Once the request has been processed and they are eligible, we immediately send a pledge to the designated provider,” Keith said. “They know that person qualifies and that the Community Action Agency covers this particular bill.”

How low-income, elderly and disabled Alabamians can get utility and energy efficiency assistance from the Alabama NewsCenter on Vimeo.

The TCRCC and other organizations provide assistance through a number of federal, state and community funding sources, including:

“They are very grateful for the program,” Keith said. “We have had clients who wanted to kiss, kiss or cry. Times are really tough and any of us can be seated on the other side of the desk at any time, so we have to be humble and grateful, making sure we are providing the support our clients need.

Funding and resources to support these programs come from a variety of sources, including Alabama Power and its independent charity, the Alabama Power Foundation. Tequila Smith, president of the foundation and vice president of Charitable Giving of Alabama Power, said the funding often supports low-income families in Alabama who would generally not qualify for federal energy assistance.

“As a good corporate citizen and corporate citizen, Alabama Power understands the challenges that many families in Alabama with limited resources face every day,” said Smith. “That’s why we created the Alabama Business Charitable Trust over 25 years ago, working with partners to meet the energy needs of low-income Alabamians.

To apply for financial assistance for utility bills, contact the Community Action Agency or the social service agency serving your county. A full list of these agencies is available here. Customers who wish to request energy assistance through the SHARE project can make a request at their local Salvation Army office or by calling 205-328-2420.

Improve energy efficiency at home

Weatherization assistance is available for low-income households in Alabama’s 67 counties. (Bruce Nix / Alabama NewsCenter)

Thousands of economically struggling Alabamians are eligible for home energy efficiency upgrades through the Alabama Weathering Assistance Program (AWAP), an ADECA service funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and the US Department of Health and Human Services. ADECA contracts with community action agencies and the Central Alabama Regional Planning and Development Commission to provide inclement weather assistance in Alabama’s 67 counties.

“The program does basic home improvements,” Keith said. “The house must meet the construction criteria as well as the criteria of the poverty guideline. We select these houses on the basis of the points system that ADECA has already established.

Contractors improve the energy efficiency of a home through a variety of services, such as attic installation, wall and floor insulation, duct sealing, heating system tuning and air conditioning, repairing leaky windows and doors and replacing incandescent bulbs with ones. Health and safety checks are also carried out in each accommodation.

“Those who received help are thrilled because it makes a difference,” Keith said. “We would like to be able to help everyone, but unfortunately due to the funding we cannot reach everyone. “

Smith said helping neighbors in need is a team effort.

“Alabama Power appreciates the coordination and close relationships we have with all of our partners – including government agencies, community action agencies, nonprofits, and faith groups – to help meet the energy needs of the people. Alabamiens, ”Smith said. “This way families can get the help they need as quickly as possible. “

To receive assistance, an applicant’s income must not exceed 200% of the federal poverty line. To request help through AWAP, contact the community action agency or social service agency serving your county. A full list of these agencies is available here.

Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.