Lawyers for Flint Water trial victims plead for more money in settlement
FLINT, Mich. – On Monday, lawyers for the residents of Flint had a chance to argue their case saying the $ 650 million settlement with the state over the water crisis is simply not enough.
A total of 50,000 people have signed up for a share and many of them are unhappy with a multitude of issues, including $ 200 million for legal fees.
Flint, still struggles to cope with the impact of the water crisis. Now the battle for the money. From Monday in court, lawyers representing victims pleaded for more money. Soon the victims themselves will be sharing their stories.
Here’s a look at the numbers.
50,000 + registered
Money mainly for children, businesses hit by the lead water crisis
$ 640 million settlement agreement
Lawyers want 32% legal fees
Balance of approximately $ 435 million
When the deal was first announced, the governor was optimistic.
“It is our obligation to get the best deal for the children and families of Flint,” said Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
But since then, some, including the former mayor of Flint, say the number should be closer to $ 1 billion.
“It’s just not enough for those who have suffered,” said former Flint Mayor Karen Weaver.
Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel released the statement on Monday.
“Our state owes the people of Flint a path to recovery, not a long legal back and forth. I remain hopeful that this agreement will receive final approval in order to put us all on this path. We recognize that no amount of money will ever erase the damage done, but this settlement should remind us of our commitment to the residents of Flint, the town and its future, ”said Nessel.
Copyright 2021 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.